Always put your safety first by following these smart tips:
- Look for posters near the chair lifts that tell you how to get on and off the lift properly.
- Ask the lift attendant if you need any help.
- Listen up! Obey all the instructions that are given to you.
- Pay attention to any signs that are posted along the ride up the hill.
Be smart! Use the safety bar.
- Ride with care. That means you should always lower the safety bar that's found on the chair lift.
- Don't rush it! Never raise the bar until you reach a sign that tells you to do so.
Getting ON The Lift:
Follow the three "L's":
- Look for signs before you prepare to load. They'll tell you what to do.
- Look and wait for the chair until it's your time to load.
- Look over your shoulder for the approaching chair, so you're prepared when it reaches you.
- Tie up long hair and secure any loose clothes. Make sure you take off your backpacks and headsets, too.
- As the chair moves towards you, bend your knees and get ready for it to come to you.
- If you're riding up the hill alone, sit down in the middle of the chair.
- Remove your poles' straps from around your wrists. Then take hold of the poles in one hand as you travel up the hill.
- If you are unsure of anything, ask the lift attendant for help.
- Lower the safety bar as soon as your skis or snowboard start to leave the snow.
- Keep your eye out for the sign that tells you to raise the safety bar. Do not lift the bar until you see the sign telling you to raise it.
- Always remain seated. And don't bounce or swing the chair - no matter how much fun you think that might be!
Getting OFF The Lift:
- Watch out for the sign that tells you to raise your safety bar.
- When you're entering the lift stations, raise the tips of your skis or snowboard so you won't trip and get injured.
- Lift the safety bar only when you spot the sign that tells you to do so.
- Listen to the operator at all times and always obey his or her instructions.
- Stand as your skis or snowboard touch the ground within the unloading area.
- Once you're off the chair lift, move away from the unloading area, so other skiers can get off the lift safely.
- If you happen to drop an item, ask the lift operator for help. Never try to get it back by yourself.